Friday, October 01, 2004

Death Warrant - the last three days

I became more intense the last three days. My mind was set - I knew I could do it now. I was ok. I was hyped - my mind set to do it.

Two days left. Assistant superintendent came back. Told me the procedures. That the top of my head would be shaved - a play on my legs. So the electrodes could make good contact. I would be walked or carried if need be. Down the hallway - in front of my cell to the execution chamber.

At that time the curtain would be opened to the witness chamber - so they could view my execution.

And if I choose - I could at that time say any last words I had. Then, a hood would be placed over my head - electrodes in place. And if I choose a member of the clergy could say the last rites ! He would then check to see if there were any last minute stays.

If not at the exact time he would give a signal and the executioner would throw the switch.

He asked if I needed anything - I said no - I´m good ! I was asked what last meal I would want. All I truly remember is fried chicken.

Later that day - I was told - with like 14 hours before my time to be executed I had received a temporary stay. The guy who watched me left. But, they said a temporary stay of execution. Which means it can be lifted at anytime.

And I was still on Death Watch. So, my frame of mind did not change. I stayed prepared to die.

I went to sleep and woke up at 6 am. I was scheduled for 7 am. I waited. No last meal came. At 9 am I called my lawyer asked, what´s up. He yaws, says - what do you mean ? I said, well what´s up with the stay, I´m still in the Death Watch cell.

He said: " What ?? You received a permanent stay yesterday at 3 pm. Let me call someone !" He said: " Your safe !" I hung up. 30 minutes later, I was back on R-Wing. Seems the court clerk, at the court where I had received the permanent stay, forget to call and tell them.

Oh, I was not in danger of being executed accidentally. But, how does one forget to call and inform someone of such an important decision ?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home